Thursday, March 11, 2010

New Art

C.J. here. I've been on spring break this week, so I decided to finally act on a painting idea that I've had for a while. We have this massive wall above our piano, and I thought that my painting would fit in with our decor perfectly. It's on a 4'x4' piece of plywood, and I used cheap acrylic paint mixed with some stuff to thicken it up. I really dig paintings that have texture--I always want to touch them in the museums. I painted the sky and black for the buildings first, then cut it into 6" strips. After cutting it, I offset the pieces so the sky has a cool effect (at least I think so) and the buildings form a skyline. Last painted were the Arch and the windows. It was about a four day process, but it has been really fun!

Original idea planned in Paint on the computer

On the wall

On the wall in context

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Looks AWESOME CJ!! Can I hire you to paint something for me! :)

Kelly and Ryan DuBois said...

That looks awesome CJ! Nice work!

Julie said...

Wow, CJ that is really cool! I'll have to show Derek. :)

Katherine said...

Oh CJ bad idea to say you like to touch the textured paintings in a museum when I read your posts... :-P

Seriously though the art looks AWESOME! Super cool! Well done!

Linking Lines said...

I am very impressed! You all are more than welcome to come and decorate our home anytime. You both do such a great job!!!
Tami was just here for the week with the kids. We had fun visiting and got to talking about G&G's 60th anniversary. Grandma really wants to do a DeGroot family reunion next summer in WA (since Grandpa can't travel anymore)...do you think your family would be up for it? We'll need to start planning soon, so we just wanted to get some feelers out there to see who would be interested.

We sure enjoy keeping up with your blog!

Sheri