Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another DeGroot Update

Time for another update...this time from Keri. Spring has sprung in St. Louis! We'll have to post some pictures soon of the daffodils, magnolias, and forsythia that are blooming! I'm done with my certification exam, but won't find out for a while how I did. It was a tough test and I didn't leave feeling all that confident because the way the test is set up, you can flag answers you're not sure about to go back to at the end of the test. I flagged probably 30 or 40 out of 200, but then you leave the test after just having gone through all of the answers you're not confident about. You kind of forget that you answered the other 170 pretty confidently, and just kind of feel like you knew nothing! Anyways, we'll see how it turns out. I am starting a job search, but because I'm pretty sure of the type of job I want (full-time, inpatient rehab with spinal cord injury patients), the positions are limited, and none of the places I want to work are currently hiring for those positions. I'm filling my time, though, babysitting for good friends, helping out some people in the community, and coming up: volunteering at the local stray dog shelter. I REALLY enjoy having a flexible schedule and being able to help people.

C.J. has officially decided to go back to grad school in the fall. We are both excited about this opportunity for him.

The church plant we are a part of is going well and while we've had to be patient with some things getting pushed back, we are learning to love on each other as a leadership team and community of believers and have all started serving the community of Lafayette Square in some capacity.

I'll leave you with some pictures of our trip up to Michigan to see my parents two weeks ago. We were only there for the weekend, but it was great to spend time with them. We spent a chunk of Saturday digging post holes (C.J. did that) and mixing/pouring cement so that my parents can get a fence built and be able to let the dogs run freely in the backyard. My siblings have joked since C.J. and I were 17 and dating and my dad had him help tear off the old roof on our CA house that C.J., like Jacob in the bible, was having to do hard labor to earn his wife. Now they joke that although we've been married almost 4 years, C.J. still seems to get roped into home improvement projects :) All jokes aside, we were glad to help my parents get that done and it was actually a pleasant sunny day in MI to do it.

Keri mixing concrete

C.J. helping fill the concrete into the post holes with Keri's parents

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Keri and CJ,
I am so glad that things are going well for the two of you.
My mom and I will be headed to STL tomorrow night when we get off of work...we will have Friday afternoon/night and all day Saturday without Russ and Katie and then Katie will be back sometime Saturday night. We will be there until Monday around lunch time. Hope that it works out to see you guys while we are there. You have my cell and I have yours if we need anything!!!