Sunday, September 30, 2007

Jesus as the Good Shepherd and the Gate

Hi everyone. This is Keri. Again, we'll update you more tomorrow about housing and some other things from the last few days, but I just wanted to write about how God worked through the church service this morning to teach us. If you haven't been reading this, we, but especially I, have been struggling to trust in God's provision when housing wasn't available to us. Lots of tears have been shed and I've been frustrated that God seemed to have forgotten about a basic need of ours. He used the service this morning at All Nations CRC in Halifax to tell us that's simply not true. First of all, one of the first points in the order of worship was a corporate prayer of confession. This is what we prayed(I italicized the most pertinent points):

O God, our great shepherd, you tenderly gather us as lambs, carrying us with all your all-embracing love. Yet, like sheep, we wander from you: following our own ways, ignoring your voice, not trusting in your provisions. Forgive our stubborn rebellion, our hardened hearts, our lack of trust. Refresh us once again by your quiet waters of mercy and restore our souls by your redeeming love. Guide our paths, that we might follow you more closely. Through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd, we pray. Amen.

Yeah. That was pretty convicting. Especially the parts about not trusting his provisions. I haven't been. Right there, I already had tears in my eyes. God is the GOOD shepherd and we are just sheep. He's looking out for us! Then, one of the next parts of the service was supposed to be a song by the choir, but too many members were sick, so the congregation sang an unplanned song:

Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to him belong. They are weak, but he is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.

God was definitely speaking to my heart and having me go back to the basics. Jesus LOVES me. This weak little one belongs to him, and the only proof I need of that is that the Bible says so. Simple as that. Even when we're in a foreign country (okay, it's just Canada, but still far from home!) in an bug-infested hotel room (we might go into that story later) with no idea where we're going to spend the next night, He loves me and cares.

Then the sermon came. The passage was John 10:1-11, and the title was "Jesus the Gate." Now I don't know how many sermons on Jesus as the gate you've heard in your life, but I hadn't ever heard one...until 2 weeks ago, the last time we were at church at my parent's church in Grand Haven, Michigan. Same passage. Same theme. In churches that are miles apart. Ridiculous! And hardly a coincidence. Immediately, C.J. and I realized that God's got something to tell us! The basic themes were the same. Jesus is the good shepherd who knows his sheep by name, AND he is the gate-keeper to salvation AND he sits at the gate to the pasture, so NOTHING can get by him and get to his sheep without his permission. Pretty powerful imagery when we're in a different country and feeling pretty lonely and vulnerable. So I just thought I'd share what God's doing in our hearts and encourage you all to TRUST even when things aren't going as you planned them. Praise God for his faithfulness.

2 comments:

Bob DeGroot said...

Our Middle School Chapel praise leader this week used this song...

Matt Redman - You Never Let Go
From the album Passion 06: Everything Glorious

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back
I know You are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Chorus:
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We’ll live to know You here on the earth

Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

Much easier SAID than DONE! We love you guys and rejoice each day how God shows He cares!

Dad and Mom DeGroot

Everyday Thoughts said...

CJ and Keri-
Kirk and I want you to know that we are praying for you daily as God continues to show you his soverienty and love! What an amazing God we serve! May the rest of your time up north be filled with lessons, good times, and lots of memories! We love you guys and can't wait for your return! Oh yeah, Caleb says he misses you! :)
-Kirk, Amy and Caleb Starnes